Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Wonderful Leftovers #1 (Roast Chicken)

I'm not a chicken fan... something to do with a weirdo sound designer staying with us many years ago in Yuendumu interrogating me over the cutting of vegetables on the same bread board that I had cut chicken on minutes before.. he put the fear of god into me about chicken, and it is has never left me.  My bloke, on the other hand, loves chicken... loves any flesh in fact.  So on Sunday night we had a large roast chicken which I picked over.., and on Monday night we had half a cold roast chicken to do something with for dinner.  My childhood spent poring over the Timelife Foods of the World series of cookbooks always stands me in good stead at moments like this, and I remembered a rice pie... Actually, what I really wanted to cook was a chicken, rice and almond dish I have eat at the wonderful Abla's in Carlton, Melbourne... but couldn't locate the recipe.  So, back to the pie.  I had tried the recipe once or twice before, without success.. but my skills as a home cook have progressed substantially, and I also read recipes in detail before changing them. So, I cooked this Rice Pie  with some major adaptations, and it was fab... and looked fab too.  So, now for the recipe....