This is the first dish I cook with leeks,.. the second is soup and that's about it for me... although I have a vague memory of a japanese dish with leeks, mushrooms and soba noodles.. must research that one.
Ingredients for Leek & Bacon Pie
1 bunch of leeks (usually 3 leeks)
3-4 rashes bacon
3 eggs, little beaten
1 tbsp cream
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup grated cheese (mature cheddar)
1/4 cup parmesan
+ your choice of pastry, eg. shortcrust, puff pastry or yeasted dough (my choice).. made with a half kilo of flour.
1. Cut leeks lengthwise, then across into slices. Place the sliced leeks in a large bowl or sink of cold water and pull apart with your hands to get rid of the dirt. Strain thoroughly.
2. Melt butter in a large frying pan, and add leeks. Saute over a low heat until soft. Set aside.
3. Beat eggs in a large bowl, then mix in cheddar cheese and half the parmesan, and cream.
4. Add leeks, salt, pepper and nutmeg and mix thoroughly.
5. Butter or oil a large-ish spring form pan -26/28cm.
6. Roll out pastry and line pan, leaving a good amount of pastry to cover the sides and hang over the edge around 1 cm.
7. Pour filling into pastry and sprinkle over remaining parmesan.
8. Fold over sides of pastry.
9. Bake in a medium over for around 40 minutes or until the pie is brown on top.
10. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
11. Serve with baked root vegetables in season.