Thursday, March 31, 2011

Watermelon salad

I feel as if I have barely been home this week due to work commitments, which have also seen me eating out a few times in Alice Springs.  I am generally jaded about this activity, but I was pleasantly surprised when we were served a watermelon salad, as part of a barbecue.  The salad was so simple and delicious and consisted of cubed watermelon, with strips of fresh coriander and sliced Spanish onion.
The classic middle-eastern salad includes feta and black olives.


Watermelon, feta and olive salad 
Ingredients
1kg ripe watermelon, diced and seeds removed.
250 gm feta
25 black olives (pitted)
Bunch mint
Zest of two limes
3 tbs lime juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Method
Place watermelon, feta, mint and olives in bowl.
Make a dressing from the remaining ingredients.
Gently toss, season and serve immediately.

(Moderately adapted.. not much really,  from "Feast Bazaar" by Barry Vera.)