Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hot weather ices

It's been baking hot here in Alice Springs... my face got so hot last week while I was gardening it took 12 hours to get rid of the heat. So now, stuck in the air-conditioned house, what else to do but cook... but without heat. I was given an ice-cream machine two Christmases ago and it's only now coming into its own. Last weekend, I made five ice-confections of various sorts, including: tamarind sorbet, mascarpone gelato, chocolate gelato, espresso granita and aranciatta sorbetto (bitter orange). Various visitors and guests got to try them out, and while the tamarind sorbet one, my favious was the aranciatta sorbetto.
So, at this point, you may be asking the obvious question: What is the difference between ice-cream, gelati(o), granita, sorbet and sorbetto?