Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pies

I love pies.. I love the way they are self-contained, with a crisp filling-proof case and that special something special inside. I often think they are the perfect portable food with treasure like appeal.
I still have pie shells I bought when I was 16 and I have tried many, many pie recipes. Most cultures have their own version of a pie, from samosas to a good ole' aussie beef pies... These are some of my favourites with recipes to follow:
  • Swedish mushroom and meat roll..
  • Chicken and vegetable pie...
  • Spanakopita...
  • Empanadas ...
  • Tuna Empanadas ...
  • Zucchini pie...
  • Pork and red cabbage pie..
  • Pide ...
I'm currently working on and adapating carrot and kevlograviera pie..
My tip for good pie making is to choose the right pastry for the filling: shortcrust, puff, filo, yeast etc..... and to make sure the filling is flavoured and adequately cooked according to how long it will take to cook the pastry... get the balance right.