300 gms plaint flour
185 gm unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1cm pieces
1/2 cup sour cream
butter for greasing tray
Extra Virgin olive oil or butter for fying (around 2 tbs of )
125 gm (approx) finely chopped mushrooms
250gm-300gm lean minced beef
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup milk
1 egg combined with 2 tbs milk
Sour Cream Pastry
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Rub in butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. (Alternatively you can use a food processor, but after this point, return the mixture to a large bowl.)
- In a separate bowl, mix together egg and sour cream.
- Make a well in centre of flour mixture and pour in egg & sour cream mixture.
- Work dough gently and pull together into a pliable ball. (Do not over knead).
- Cover in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator.
- Melt butter or heat olive oil, and sautee onions for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue to saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add meat and cook cook for around 6 to 8 minutes.
- Put mixture into bowl.
- When mixture is cool, add parsley cheese and milk.
Putting it together.
- Divide pastry in half.
- Roll out one piece into a rectangle, approximately 15 cm by 30-35 cm, and place on buttered jam roll tin (or line with baking paper).
- Gather meat mixture into ball and place in centre of dough, to resemble a log. Brush water along edges.
- Roll out the second piece of pastry so it is a big bigger than the first and lay over the mixture.
- Brush pastry with egg and milk mixture. Trim.
- Gather remaining pastry, roll out and cut into 1 cm strips.
- Make a lattice trim on pastry.
- Pinch edges together.
- Prick the top of the loaf in several places.
- Brush top again with egg and milk mixture.
- Cook in oven, set at 180 degrees celsius for around 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool a bit ans serve with sour cream.