Wednesday, May 15, 2013

5:2 diet

I'm trialling the ever popular 5:2 fasting diet.  This means that over a week, I have two days of 500 calories  each and the other five days I can eat what I  like.  I've reached that point in my life where I'm carrying over 10kg more than my body frame can carry, and sooner or later something's going to give.  I want to avoid this, and so I have set myself a task.... to weigh 70kg by Christmas this year (2013).

I've done this before, but it was six months of joyless eating, and I can't do that again... I just can't give up on food altogether.  What would I do for my leisure?  How would I show my family I love them?  And how would I fulfill my craving for love through the consumption of beautiful food?

So this diet really appeals to me.. two days off food, five days on!  I reckon I can do that. 

I'm up to week three, and my scales don't work so not sure how it's going.  I am very cranky on my 500 Calorie days, but have started recovering a bit quicker.  I had a 500 calorie day yesterday and due to have another tomorrow.  In between I have cooked a Mississippi Mud Cake with the beautiful Jorge, my son, and I have a bunch of glorious Kale that I am going to massage with salt tomorrow night to wilt and eat with a light dressing. (An Easter recipe from Alison).

I have also discovered the joy of salads such as fennel, orange, black olives and fetta and plain steamed broccoli with salt.