Monday, November 15, 2010

Kugelhopf....

I was watching Food Safari on SBS a few weeks, and it was a show on the Jewish community and food in Australia.. and I saw a beautiful poppy seed Kugelhopf cake and became pre-occupied for the next couple of weeks with the image of those wonderful moulded cakes with dark stripes of poppy seeds. It took me a while to locate my recipe, my very old kugelhopf tin which has only ever seen short bursts of attention over the last 20 + years... and finally, the poppy seeds which were nowhere to be found except at the supermarket.
I love yeast cakes.. they were some of the first cakes I learned to master, and I could never understand why there was any apprehension about cooking yeast cakes.. they are sooooo easy.
For this recipe, I kept the dough much moister than previously and I used my much loved kitchen aide. I used less poppy seeds than the recipe and added saffron for colour and a bit of flavour as I couldn't justify the 6 egg yolks in the original recipe.