200 gms flour
100 gms unsalted butter
1/2 cup iced water with a squeeze of lemon juice
1 bunch rhubarb
1 cup castor sugar
1/3 cup water
Extra caster sugar
Butter to grease dish
Square or rectangular pyrex or similar baking dish.
Rolling pin etc..
- Put salt and flour in bowl.
- Rub in butter with fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. (Alternatively put flour, salt and butter in food processor and process. Put mixture into bowl
- Create well in centre of mixture and pour in small quantity of iced water.
- Pull mixture together and knead lightly, and not for long. *
- Put in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator.
- Grease cooking dish with butter.
- Combine sugar and water is small saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Continue to boil until mixture turns a brown caramel colour.
- Pour into baking dish, covering the surface evenly. (Being careful as mixture is very hot.)
- Wash and cut up rhubarb into 4cm pieces.
- Place side by side in cooking dish on top of caramel.
- After first layer sprinkle with castor sugar and cinnamon.
- Place second layer.
- Take pastry mixture out of freezer and place between two pies of plastic roll.
- Roll out until mixture is about 2-3 mm thick.
- Place over rhubarb and trim, making sure you leave enough pastry at edges as it will shrink.
- Place in oven (160 degrees) and cook for between 30 and 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before tipping out onto square or rectangular serving dish. (You may want to pour off excess liquid and use this for serving.)
- Cut into squares and serve with fresh cream.