This is my father's cousin Rosa's braised pumpkin recipe. I only ever tasted it once actually cooked by Cousin Rosa, but my mother and I worked on the recipe and now I claim it as one my own. Very simple and great as an accompaniment to a roast dinner. Don't omit the pepper, it's what makes this dish so special.
Around a quarter of a good sized pumpkin
2-3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
Extra virgin olive Oil
Herb of choice (?Rosemary)
1. Seed, skin and and chop pumpkin into medium sized pieces.
2. Heat olive oil in a heavy cast iron enamel pot which has a well fitting lid.
3. Drop in garlic and heat through for around a minute, then add pumpkin.
4. Saute for around 2 minutes.
5. Add salt, pepper and herb, then add around two tablespoons of water.
6. Put lid on pot and cook undisturbed for at least a half hour.
7. Check the done-ness of the pumpkin. It should be a little bit caramelised on the bottom.