Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cousin Rosa's Braised Pumpkin

This is my father's cousin Rosa's braised pumpkin recipe. I only ever tasted it once actually cooked by Cousin Rosa, but my mother and I worked on the recipe and now I claim it as one my own. Very simple and great as an accompaniment to a roast dinner. Don't omit the pepper, it's what makes this dish so special.

Ingredients
Around a quarter of a good sized pumpkin
2-3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
Extra virgin olive Oil
Herb of choice (?Rosemary)
Salt
Pepper

Method
1. Seed, skin and and chop pumpkin into medium sized pieces.
2. Heat olive oil in a heavy cast iron enamel pot which has a well fitting lid.
3. Drop in garlic and heat through for around a minute, then add pumpkin.
4. Saute for around 2 minutes.
5. Add salt, pepper and herb, then add around two tablespoons of water.
6. Put lid on pot and cook undisturbed for at least a half hour.
7. Check the done-ness of the pumpkin. It should be a little bit caramelised on the bottom.
Enjoy